Kansas City Chiefs, who are now among the most powerful in the NFL, have a rich history of success over the years. Here are 15 secrets about Kansas City Chiefs that you may not know:
1. The franchise was founded as the Dallas Texans in 1960 and moved to Kansas City in 1963. It wasn’t until 1969 when they adopted their current name ‘Chiefs’
2. In 1966, Chiefs became the first AFL team to defeat an NFL team; they beat Minnesota Vikings 23–7 in Super Bowl IV at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans.
3. The Chiefs were also the first team to win three American Football League championships (in 1962, 1966, and 1969).
4. Hall of Fame running back, Priest Holmes, holds the record for most rushing yards in a single season with 1,615 in 2002.
5. Quarterback Patrick Mahomes has set several NFL records since being drafted by the Chiefs in 2017 including throwing 50 touchdowns and 5,097 yards in 2018 – both of which are Kansas City Chiefs records.
6. The Chiefs have appeared on prime-time television more than any other team in the NFL since 2011.
7. In 2019, they became the first team to win three AFC championships in four consecutive years and won their first Super Bowl title since 1969 against San Francisco 49ers at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida.
8. In 2020, Kansas City Chiefs had their second consecutive appearance in the Super Bowl and first back-to-back championship game since 1993, ultimately defeating Tampa Bay Buccaneers to become the 2020 Super Bowl champions.
9. The Chief’s mascot is K.C. Wolf who was introduced in 1989 and has been entertaining fans with his antics ever since!
10. Kansas City Chiefs have won eight division titles throughout their history (three AFL West titles, four AFC West titles and one AFC Central title).
11. In 2009, the team opened their state-of-the-art training facility on a 90 acre site in St. Joseph, Missouri.
12. The team mascot has his own charitable foundation called K.C. Wolf’s ‘Wolf Pups’, which raises money for children’s charities and organizations in the Kansas City area.
13. The Chiefs began wearing their now-iconic red jerseys in 1971 and white pants in 1972 – a look that has become synonymous with the team since then.
14. The Chiefs have an impressive track record of producing Hall of Fame players – 10 former Chiefs have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame including running back Marcus Allen and defensive end Derrick Thomas.
15. In 2017, Arrowhead Stadium was voted as the No 1 stadium atmosphere by Sporting News, something that is unsurprising to any Chiefs fan!
The Kansas City Chiefs have a long and proud history of success and are now one of the most powerful teams in NFL. There’s no doubt they will continue to entertain us with their outstanding performances both on and off the field in the future.
So, these are 15 secrets about Kansas City Chiefs that you may not know – all facts that confirm why they are such an iconic team!