Maneskin is an Italian rock band formed in 2015. The band consists of Damiano David (lead vocals), Thomas Raggi (guitar), Victoria De Angelis (bass) and Ethan Torricelli (drums).
The band’s name is derived from the Italian word for “demon”, which is fitting given their dark and edgy image. Their music has been described as a mix of punk, hard rock and glam rock.
Maneskin rose to fame in 2017 after winning the X Factor Italy. Since then, they have released two successful singles, “Chosen” and “Moriro’ da vivo”.
In 2019, Maneskin represented Italy at the Eurovision Song Contest with their song “Soldi”. They finished in 4th place, making them the highest-scoring Italian entry in Eurovision history.
Here are 6 facts about Maneskin that you may not know:
1. Damiano David is the lead singer and frontman of the band. He was born on June 28, 1996 in Rome, Italy.
Damiano David play an important role in the band not only as the lead singer but also as the main songwriter. He comes from Italy and his parents are of different nationalities. His mother is Italian while his father is from Ghana. When he was only four years old, his parents got divorced and he stayed with his grandparents in Rome.
2. Thomas Raggi is the band’s guitarist and backing vocalist. He was born on October 18, 1996 in Rome, Italy.
Thomas Raggi comes from a musical family – his father was a professional musician and his grandfather was a classical composer. He began playing guitar at the age of 9 and started writing songs soon after. Thomas has cited Slash from Guns N’ Roses as one of his biggest influences.
3. Victoria De Angelis is the band’s bassist and backing vocalist. She was born on November 12, 1996 in Rome, Italy.
Victoria De Angelis is the only member of the band who does not have any musical training. She picked up the bass guitar after being convinced by Damiano David to join the band. Victoria has said that she was initially reluctant to join Maneskin because she didn’t want to be seen as “just a girl in a rock band”.
4. Ethan Torricelli is the band’s drummer and backing vocalist. He was born on January 21, 1997 in Rome, Italy.
Ethan Torricelli comes from a family of drummers – his father and grandfather were both professional drummers. He started playing drums at the age of 3 and made his live debut with his father’s band at the age of 10. Ethan has cited Motörhead’s drummer, Mikkey Dee, as one of his biggest influences.
5. Maneskin’s debut single “Chosen” was released in 2017 and peaked at number 1 on the Italian Singles Chart.
The song was written by Damiano David and Thomas Raggi and is about “being different and not being afraid to show it”. It quickly became a anthem for outcasts and misfits everywhere.
6. In 2019, Maneskin represented Italy at the Eurovision Song Contest with their song “Soldi”. They finished in 4th place, making them the highest-scoring Italian entry in Eurovision history.
“Soldi” is a song about Damiano David’s father, who passed away when Damiano was only 4 years old. The song is dedicated to him and all of the other fathers who have been taken away from their children too soon.