Elon Musk is one of the most brilliant minds in business today. He’s the founder, CEO and CTO of SpaceX, co-founder of Tesla Motors, and chairman of SolarCity. He has a net worth of $13.8 billion and was recently named one of TIME magazine’s 100 most influential people. But there are still some things about him that may surprise you.
Here are 15 interesting facts about Elon Musk.
1. He was born in South Africa in 1971.
2. He has dual citizenship of South Africa and Canada.
3. He has three siblings.
4. His mother is a model and his father is an engineer.
5. He briefly attended the University of Pretoria before moving to Canada aged 17 to attend Queen’s University.
6. He transferred to the University of Pennsylvania two years later, where he received dual bachelor’s degrees in economics and physics.
7. In 1995, he founded web software company Zip2 with his brother Kimbal.
8. The company was acquired by Compaq for $307 million in 1999.
9. Musk co-founded online bank X.com that same year, which merged with Confinity in 2000 to form the company PayPal and was subsequently bought by eBay in 2002 for $1.5 billion.
10. In 2002, Musk founded SpaceX, an aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company, of which he is CEO, CTO, and lead designer.
11. In 2004, he joined electric vehicle manufacturer Tesla Motors, Inc. (now Tesla, Inc.) as chairman and product architect, becoming its CEO in 2008.
12. In 2006, he helped create SolarCity, a solar energy services company and current Tesla subsidiary.
13. In 2015, he co-founded OpenAI, a nonprofit research company that promotes friendly artificial intelligence.
14. In 2016, he co-founded Neuralink, a neurotechnology company focused on developing brain–computer interfaces, and founded The Boring Company, a tunnel construction company.
15. Musk has also proposed the Hyperloop, a high-speed vactrain transportation system.
So there you have it, fifteen things you may not have known about Elon Musk. He is an amazing entrepreneur and innovator who is changing the world as we know it. We can’t wait to see what he comes up with next!