Jacob Degrom is one of the most dominant pitchers in baseball today. He has led the New York Mets to playoff appearances in two of the last three seasons and is a Cy Young contender each year. However, there are some things about Jacob that many people don’t know.
Here are 15 secrets about Jacob Degrom.
1. Jacob Degrom was born on September 9, 1987, in Manatee County, Florida.
2. He attended Calvary Christian Academy and then Stetson University.
3. The New York Mets selected Degrom in the first round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft.
4. He made his MLB debut with the Mets in 2014.
5. In 2015, Degrom won the National League (NL) Rookie of the Year Award.
6. He finished third in NL Cy Young Award voting in 2016 and 2017.
7. Degrom won the 2018 NL Cy Young Award after going 10-9 with a 1.70 ERA and 269 strikeouts.
8. He was also named to the 2018 MLB All-Star Game.
9. Degrom signed a five-year, $137.5 million contract extension with the Mets in April 2019
10. He finished second in NL Cy Young Award voting in 2019 after going 11-8 with a 2.43 ERA and 255 strikeouts.
11. Degrom has been nicknamed “The Machine” and “DeGrominator.”
12. His fastball has been clocked as high as 98 miles per hour (mph).
13. He also throws a slider, curveball, and changeup.
14. Degrom is married to his wife, Stacey, and they have two sons together.
15. He is a Christian.
Jacob Degrom is a phenomenal player and one of the most exciting young stars in baseball. He has a long career ahead of him and will continue to amaze fans with his skills on the field. As we watch him play, let’s keep these 15 things in mind and appreciate all that he brings to the game.