The Chicago White Sox are a professional baseball club that competes in the American League Central division of Major League Baseball. The team is based in Chicago, Illinois and plays its home games at Guaranteed Rate Field. The White Sox were founded as the Sioux City Cornhuskers in 1894 and adopted their current name in 1901. They have won three World Series championships (1906, 1917, 2005). Since moving to Guaranteed Rate Field in 1991, the White Sox have sold out over 1,000 consecutive games.
Here are 15 little-known facts about the Chicago White Sox.
1. The White Sox have a long history of success, dating back to their early days as the Chicago White Stockings.
2. They have won five World Series titles, including two in the last decade, and are one of baseball’s most successful franchises.
3. The White Sox play their home games at U.S. Cellular Field, one of the most iconic stadiums in baseball.
4. The White Sox are known for their passionate fans, who are some of the most diehard in baseball.
5. The team’s mascot is Southpaw, a white-furred anthropomorphic cat who loves to high-five fans.
6. The White Sox have a rich farm system, and their minor league affiliates are some of the best in baseball.
7. The team is currently in rebuilding mode, but has a promising young core of players that should lead them back to prominence in the years to come.
8. The White Sox are one of the most storied franchises in baseball, and their history is filled with some of the game’s greatest players.
9. The White Sox have a strong rivalry with the Chicago Cubs, and the two teams often compete for city bragging rights.
10. The White Sox are known for their “Winning Ugly” style of play, which has led to some success over the years.
11. The team’s spring training facility is located in Glendale, Arizona, and their minor league affiliates are spread across the country.
12. The White Sox have a rich history of player development, and many of the game’s greats have come up through their system.
13. The team’s farm system is highly regarded, and they have produced many major league stars.
14. The White Sox are one of the few teams that still use a traditional scouting process to find players, rather than relying on computer systems.
15. The White Sox are an original member of the American League, and have been in existence since 1901.
The Chicago White Sox have a long and storied history, filled with iconic players and moments. As the 2019 season gets underway, these 15 secret facts about the team provide a little more insight into what makes them one of America’s favorite teams. So gear up for game day by brushing up on your White Sox knowledge with this list!